Monday, January 31, 2011

Mac N Cheese??? Yes Please!!

I have been dairy free for almost a year and I am so sad it took me this long to try Daiya Cheese.    I tried it in a mac and cheese recipe -- it melts down!!!!  I NEVER expected that!  Here is the link to a recipe very similar to the one I will be sharing:
http://www.daiyafoods.com/recipes_new/recipepage.aspx?id=21

I thought that recipe looked fantastic -- but I don't have quite the need for such volume -- so I played with an "easy mac" version of this.  Here is that I came up with!

"Easy-Mac"

1/2C -- Daiya Cheese (I like to mix up the two flavors) +
1TBS - Daiya Cheddar
1-3 TBS -- Plain Milk Substitute (I used coconut milk)
1C -- Elbow Noodles (cooked)
1 TBS - Olive Oil
1TBS - Panko Bread Crumbs
Salt and Pepper and Paprika

Preheat Oven to 350

Boil Pasta according to directions on box -- drain and add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

In a small, single serve microwave safe bowl, melt the cheese - with 1TBS of "milk" (about 30-45seconds)  pull it our and stir it well until smooth -- add more milk to reach a thick but creamy consistency.

Add Pasta and stir it in.  Stir until everything is incorporated.

Sprinkle with bread crumbs, cheese and paprika.

Place in the oven for about 15 minutes until the top is melted.  You may broil for a few mins if you want a "browned" top....but watch it carefully.

ENJOY!  This recipe is not quite perfected -- if you like more or less creamy, more or less bread crumbs, spices....etc -- feel free to play with it.  It is forgiving and I'm pretty sure you will still be happy with the outcome.  With differing microwave times -- check your cheese frequently as you don't want to overcook it.  You can also do the cheese on the stove top in a separate dish.  This keeps everything in one bowl though and thus less to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment